<

January 12, 2008

This is ourselves, under pressure...

I've got blisters on my fingers...

It is now January the twelfth, two thousand and eight. I think it is fair to say that the New Year is well under way, the holiday season is well behind us and it is time to turn our attention to the daily issues that are important to we the people. If you’re anything like me you’re probably under some real pressure right now. I imagine you’re losing some sleep over decisions that are weighing heavily upon your sense of well being. Doubts are creeping in and it is getting more difficult to ignore them with every passing day.

Did I really make the most informed decision? Was I a bit too hasty in what course of action I decided to take? Is this truly the course I want my life to be on? Maybe what God and country think isn’t as important as what I feel is best for me. Maybe conforming to the expectations of my friends and community isn’t as satisfying as I’d hoped it would be. Is it just too much of a commitment for me to accept? Maybe I’m just not meant to walk in line with the elephants. Yeah, these are some of the very same questions I’ve been asking myself lately.

For me it has come down to one key question; am I really interested in continuing this commitment? Is the reward truly worth the expenditure of time and personal effort I’m expending to keep it? Quite frankly it has proven to be a lot more work than I ever expected it to be, the pressure of potential failure is stifling and the fear of disappointing those who have come to depend upon me on a daily basis is almost more than I can bear. I’m beginning to think it’s more of a burden than I can reasonable carry on my weary shoulders.

With all of that being said I have to ask my readers; is it too early in the New Year to give up on my New Year’s resolution? What is the protocol for giving up on one’s resolutions? I’m not sure what to do because I’ve never made one before. I only decided on this one because it seemed so easy at the time and I figured what the heck, I think I could actually do this one standing on my head. Here’s what happened...

A couple of days into the New Year I stopped by my good friend Asara Dragoness’s blog and discovered a thing called Blog 365. Well, when I surfed over to see what the site was all about I got caught up in all the excitement and before I knew it I’d signed up and committed myself to posting a blog entry e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e d-a-y. Sure, most of you are thinking, “well, heck you’re already so prolific a writer and clearly it comes easily to one as verbose as yourself. How hard could be for the “Mayor of Bloggerville”, the great and powerful DirkStar?”

(That’s what I thought at first too.)

But then comes the reality of having to write something clever, witty and heartfelt on a daily basis. Yes, I know you’ll find this hard to believe, but it’s not as easy as I make it appear to be. There are days where I spend thirty to forty minutes staring at my keyboard shaking in terror that an idea simply will not come and I’ll have nothing to post. I’ve actually sat here and cried sometimes as the pressure threatened to overwhelm me. I just can’t blog like this...

So I’m asking you, my cherished readers and good friends, is it too soon to give up this resolution or should I guts it out and honor my commitment? Will you think less of me if I just give up and go back to blogging as I’ve always done it in the past? I mean, its not as if I haven’t learned from the experience. These past twelve days have made me a better and more tolerant blogger. Now that I realize just how hard you people are working to get a post up each and every day I won’t be nearly as quick to judge the quality or content of your efforts ever again. I mean it.

I’m leaving it up to you good people. My year is in your hands. Is it okay to give up on a silly, impetuous promise made in one rash moment of non-thinking impulse or are my fingers doomed to a never ending pain of carpel tunnel agony as I try to provide a selfish audience with a non-stop stream of political insight, family entertainment and comic relief. Remember, I have a child and can only afford to replace so many keyboards and I’ve already spent a small fortune on band aids trying to ease the blisters on the tips of my fingers. Please, can I just quit now?


Friday’s Market Numbers

DOW - 246.79

NASDAQ - 48.58

S&P - 19.31

I may have been a bit hasty investing Micah’s college fund in the market. How am I ever going to explain to Felicia that we can’t even afford to home-school the boy now?

Thank God I’ve still got the sock money in my dresser drawer. I can still recoup my losses if I play things right.

What was that rule again? Oh yeah, buy low and sell when I’m high...



10 Comments:

Blogger Janice Thomson said...

LOL Kind of like the eyes are bigger than the stomach sort of thing.
I blog everyday but then I am also retired and do not have a family to care for. Because it's a poetry blog and mostly the short Japanese form poetry I like the challenge of having to come up with a couple appropriate pieces. But even I have to take breaks now and then because I don't like to be controlled or addicted to a machine. Writer's block does happen too and sometimes there's just nothing there.
So I say bow out now before the pressure gets too great.

January 12, 2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

janice - Thank you! I can only hope the rest of my readers prove as gentle in spirit.

Unfortunately, I know most of them and they are a bloodthirsty and soulless lot.

Except for those of you who are different, and you know who you are.

January 12, 2008 10:46 PM  
Blogger Muhd Imran said...

Honor the commitment and go for it! Surrender once you change your tenth keyboard. Blisters on the fingers... just put a pencil in your mouth and start typing.

I know you can do it, with all that super-human talents and competitive spirit you've got going.

PS: Always have enjoyed your posts every time Micah is in it.

Happy blogging.

January 13, 2008 1:05 AM  
Blogger Kati said...

LOL I've seen other fools (oops, did I say that, I meant "folks") make the same sort of promise. Which is why _I_ don't! *grin*

Hey, would you come read about what I did yesterday and tell me if you think I did the right thing given the current state of our country's finances? I hope I didn't make a big (but not unfixable) mistake.

January 13, 2008 1:10 AM  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Don't blog everyday! It's a terrible idea. You want people to look back on your posts as gems in a bag rather than millet seed in a sack. 365 essays per year! I wouldn't read them all even if you were Shakespeare...or George Orwell. No one is that profound.

I'd also advise against staring at your computer screen. It's bad for the eyes. Much better to jot down ideas in a note pad with detachable sheets.

January 13, 2008 3:29 AM  
Blogger Vi said...

No, don't do it! The pressure is too much to blog everyday! (Hence why I only blog 6 days out of 7 now! lol)

January 13, 2008 4:20 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Well this is a tough one isn't it. I mean, on the one hand you don't need all the pressure of blogging ever single day on top of all the pressures of being a father and all that stuff.

On the other hand, at some point in the future Micah may find himself wanting to back out of a commitment and will be looking to you for advice. When you give him the big speech about honoring your commitments and not giving up and all that shit, will he look up to you and say "Yeah, how'd that blog 365 work out for ya?" ;-)

Okay, seriously I say screw blog 365. It's not a REAL commitment. It's just some crazy idea that seemed cool at the time. Like stripping down to your undies and running into the ocean on the Jersey shore in the middle of January. After you get started doing it, you realize it was a crazy freaking idea to begin with.

So basically I say don't worry about it. Nobody can really blog everyday anyway. Oh sure, they'll post some brain dead YouTube video that somebody emailed to them or they found on another website. Or they do those "What kind of tree am I?" quizzes. But, that's not really blogging, that's just taking up cyber space.

January 13, 2008 3:21 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Jay - Hey, are you saying I don't have what it takes to post a quality article on a daily basis?

Why I outta...

January 13, 2008 3:30 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

you outta what? ;-)

I think you're being a little overly sensitive there. haha ;-)

January 13, 2008 8:14 PM  
Blogger The Mountain Cat said...

Hey Dirk Star, Thanks for your comments. I will advertise your page on mine. Please do the same. Go Giants! And Zappa rocks!
- The Mountain Cat

January 13, 2008 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger