<

August 9, 2007

The time has come today... The bootleg version.



Mark this date on your calendar!



It is said in the bible that unless God cuts short the time we have available to us we would destroy ourselves before we could ever be redeemed. As of today world scientists have given us twenty years before the glaciers are completely gone, and I believe we all know what will happen once they are fully melted. The face of the planet is about to be fundamentally altered and we are going to have make some pretty big changes in the way we do things on this backwater ball of mud we call home. Or are we?

The bible has always been a bit wishy-washy when it comes to offering up any type of concrete timetable for exactly when the end times will come. All we’re offered are vague hints like; thief in the night, when you see wars and famines or the ever popular don’t concern yourself with these things. It gets on my nerves and quite frankly I’m a little tired of all the chaos created by groups of well intentioned believers standing on hilltops dressed in white robes waiting for an end that never arrives. (Don’t even get me started on the Kool-aid drinking comet watchers.)

If you’re going to get me all worked up about the end of days I want a date that will get me sweating a little. Grow some balls and prove to me that you’re actually in contact with the Supreme Being. I’m tired of the air of mystery surrounding the Elohim. I want cold hard fact and I want a specific time table. Look, I’m sick to death of trying to pray to a deity whose name was forgotten by its Jewish promoters long before He was hijacked by the medieval church of Catholicism. That’s right, the Jew considered the name of God so holy that it was forbidden to speak it. Then one day they realized it’d been so long since anyone had addressed the big guy by his surname that they’d forgotten what it really was. Thanks guys...

So I’m not the biggest fan of the Judeo Christian faith. It’s just too vague and uncertain for me. That’s why I’ve been looking into the Mayan cosmology and I think these people just might have what I’m looking for. First off, they know God’s name. The big guy in their scheme of things is called, Quetzalcoatl. He is no wishy-washy washer of feet either. This deity is not afraid of getting his fists bloodied in a good old fashioned street brawl. This is a deity that will bust you one right in the chops and call you a sissy if you can't remember his name. Of course, the very best part of it all? The Mayans not only know for a fact the world is coming to an end they give you the exact year and day it will happen. I’m not kidding!

The end of the great cycle of life on our planet is not far off according to the Mayans. December twenty-first in the year of, well, their Lord I guess 2012. Now that is a date I can live with. I’ve still got enough time remaining to live a fairly entertaining life of sin and I will still be young enough to travel to Chichen Itza to watch the sun create the shadow snake crawl down the stairs on the day the world ends. Don’t worry, I’ll drag along my laptop and digital camera to get some good pictures to post on my blog as the end of the world arrives. I am so excited!

Maybe we can get together for a bloggers greet and meet at the Chichen Itza temple on the great day? After all, if we all find out that we have nothing in common what will we have to lose? And we’d have perfect seats in a wonderful venue for the final moment.

Do you think the name the Jews forgot could possibly be, Quetzalcoatl?

6 Comments:

Blogger MasterQ said...

I was raised Christian and have never questioned it enough to totally disbelieve, but you're making just enough sense to be scary.

August 10, 2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger Pepper said...

Dirk, Quetzalcoatl is the Aztec name for the Feathered-Serpent god. The Maya knew him as Kukulkan. I just woke up and I am not awake enough to spell correctly.

December 12th marks the end of their long count calendar. A day of celebration for the Mayans. As far as the end of the world, well we will see. I have my opinion but it is irrelevant. I will say this I plan to be with my family on that date but if you want everyone to meet you in Mexico, I will be there, with my family. Only I would prefer to be in Guatemala – Tikal. I know of a place in El Remate, with a spectacular view of Lake Petén and all you have to do is step out on the street to catch a bus to Tikal.

August 10, 2007 7:07 AM  
Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

I did a project on Quetzalcoatl once... well, actually, it was a project on Cortez, but I had to research about Quetzalcoatl to figure out some stuff. He's cool.

August 10, 2007 8:12 AM  
Blogger Ripple said...

Ummmm, let me think about it.....NO! I already knew about this date. Personally, I can't wait either, but for other reasons. I didn't know that the date coincides with some kind of cosmic alignment in the galaxy. That's the part I find the most intriguing.

August 10, 2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great, the world will come to end like one month after I finish paying off my student loans. Just perfect.

August 10, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

LOL A meet-up on Dec. 12th, 2012 in Mexico.... I'll see what I can do. ;)

That said, I don't believe it is supposed to be the end of the world in it's totality, simply the end of this current age. It seems to me that they had plotted out the history & time-frame of 5 or 6 different ages (again, not really firm on how many, it was part of a Discovery channel documentary some months ago) and this current age was simply the most recent. But, according to the documentary, there weren't any predictions for what will come AFTER this age, simply that it will end. I could have sworn this next one is to be an ending in fire, and that one of the past age-ending events had been in water.... Seeing as not only the hebrew bible records a age-ending-event dealing with floods. *shrug* I really need to find some decent books on the subject & read, instead of trying to remember what I've seen on TV documentaries. I don't trust (nor recall) them nearly as much as I do books.

Personally, I don't believe the world will end completely, nor humanity be wiped off the face of the earth completely, on that day. I DO believe that it will be a traumatic event for many, myself included more than likely, but that humanity WILL survive in some smaller number. I prepare the best I can simply by learning new skills and trying to teach my daughter. Should we survive, I want to be capable of helping to build a new world.

August 10, 2007 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger