<

July 4, 2007

I hope you like jammin too...

Judy and Glen Miller;
nice folks who reached out and said hello.

Sometimes it seems like we live in a world where there are only two ways to feel about the people who inhabit it with us; we either fear them because they are different from us or we judge them because they are not the same as us. It is rare that folks simply get together and enjoy the company of their neighbor and share the good times only people mingling together in a community spirit can produce. There are times these days when it just seems harder and harder to find good groups of folks to hang out with and share good times. Then again, some times good people find you and good times just happen as if by magic.

The other day as Felicia and I were preparing to leave the new Frisch’s restaurant that just opened up in Kettering, Ohio she noticed a small white card beneath the wiper on my automobile's front windshield. On it was the name of a local P.T. Cruiser club and the email address of Glen and Judy Miller. Now, Felicia had been encouraging me to see if there was a cruiser club in the Dayton area but I hadn’t had much luck in finding one. Needless to say I was pretty excited about finding the little card and I send off an email to Glen Miller as soon as I got home.

Later in the evening I opened my Hotmail folder and there was an email from Glen Miller. He warmly invited me to join the Cruiser Club and to participate in an event on the Fourth of July. Soon, Judy, Glen and I were exchanging correspondence and they put me in contact with Bob Riffle who was the event leader for the Fairborn get together. He invited me to participate in the parade with the Gem City P.T. Cruiser club and I marked it up on my calendar.


This morning I woke up bright and early and after a thorough car wash I drove up to Fairborn, Ohio and met up with the members of the Gem City Cruisers. From the moment I pulled my Cruiser into the gathering group of fellow P.T. enthusiasts I was embraced by a warm and fun loving group of people. Introductions were cheerful and hearty and smiles were as plentiful as the handshakes given to me. I felt at home the moment these folks came up and made sure I was going to participate in the next event at Young’s Dairy.


The fun bunch who made me feel at home all day long.

By the time the parade started and I got to drive in formation honking and waving to the crowd I knew that this was a group of people I wanted to spend more time with. They have a diverse membership of fun loving folks who enjoy driving P.T. Cruisers, meeting new P.T. enthusiasts and getting together after events and eating at quaint little eateries. Yes, they are indeed Felicia’s and my kind of people. There were a number of pimped out P.T. Cruisers to be seen and I got a lot of good ideas for tricking out my own ride.


The "Great Grape Ape". So fine...


Yellow flames on black, always a classic.


Seriously, the food at "The Broad Street Grill" was so good.

After the parade we gathered at "The Broad Street Grill" for a bite to eat and I got to meet more of the Gem City cruisers and a few folks from other clubs in the area. We laughed told stories, talked about our P.T. Cruisers and upcoming club events. It was a grand time and I’m truly looking forward to participating in future events. If you live in the Ohio area and are free on the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth of July I would encourage you to stop by Young’s Dairy and catch the P.T. Cruiser show. They serve wonderful ice cream at Young's Dairy and there are lots of activities for the entire family to enjoy on the working farm. I guarantee you'll find me there and hopefully, I'll be able to introduce you to some of my very cool new friends in the Gem City P.T. Cruisers.


Thank you all for making my Fourth of July the very best it could possibly be.



9 Comments:

Blogger DNR said...

Cool!! I've seen one around here that looks like an old police cruiser, complete with search light on the A pillar and big red gumball light on top.

Just realized you are posting regularly again. Looks like I have some catching up to do.

July 05, 2007 12:00 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I was never really into the Cruisers, but some of them, when customized, are fabulous! I saw one where it had the real wood paneling, with crome on it- looked so retro!

Anyway, it's so important to find good company to be around, and yet it's so hard to find that these days.

Hope you had a great time!

July 05, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

Sounds like a great group of people!! And a great way to spend some free time.

I also wanted to say, I am glad you are posting again!!!

July 05, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Hey, I've been to Young's Dairy! I loved that place!

When we lived in San Antonio by sister and brother in law were members of a Miata Club. They had lots and lots of fun with many different runs and dinners and parties.

I think the Cruiser would be a perfect vehicle for my mother.

July 05, 2007 12:28 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

dnr-Good to see you too my friend!

~deb-This is a good group and well worth getting to know.

bardouble29-I love the new look of your blog and it is always nice to have you stop by.

jay-Young's Dairy has awesome ice cream...

I'd strongly urge folks to stop by and try out their great shakes.

July 05, 2007 12:54 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

Glad you had a nice 4th of July.

I thought for a minute you were referring to Big Band leader Glenn Miller -- he IS still technically missing, you know -- but then I noticed the spelling was different and the pictures of the two didn't match up.

Ha ha

July 05, 2007 2:12 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

sounds like cool people.

July 05, 2007 4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on.. it's always good to get out and meet new folks. Wish I wasn't so uncomfortable at it heh!

I always thought those cars were pretty cool looking.

July 06, 2007 10:41 AM  
Blogger Grandma Margie said...

Hey Dirk...we're glad to have you aboard. You certainly are an interesting old hippie!!

It was so nice to meet your wife and see your little son..precious!

I still have my poetry book in my care, so I'll give it to you Saturday under the tie-dye, lol.

Man, I'm having too much fun for an old lady! I went on the light Parade and it was so much fun seeing all the cars driving in a row.

I'm looking forward to seeing you Saturday and will wear my bigger Peace necklace for you. Still want to tell you about the book I'm working on.

Peace Brother

July 14, 2007 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger