<

April 29, 2007

Send in the clowns...

"Never fear, little Micah, Underdog is here."

After twenty-two hours of labor the miracle moment finally arrived. The baby’s head crowned and I caught my first glimpse of the miracle about to enter my life. Chills ran up and down my body as the reality of our baby coming into the world dawned upon me in all of its-can-not-be-denied-realness. It was a moment I would not have missed for all of the treasures in the world.

If you are a father-to-be you simply must believe me when I tell you that you do want to be present when your baby is born. It is something you can do and it is one of the most beautiful experiences you’ll ever have in your entire life. You do want to cut the umbilical cord and participate in the process of birthing your baby. You want to hear his first wet cry. You do want to feel his wet body in your hands and know the joy of fatherhood from the very first second of your child’s life. It will change forever how you view the world and you will be a better man for it.

So, the baby has just been born, I’ve cut the umbilical cord and the nurse carries the baby over to the little tray where they do the vitals and clean him up before wrapping him in his little blanket and handing him over to the mother. Everyone in the room is in tears.

“Have you picked out a name for the baby?” One of the nurses asks.

Yes ma’am I have. He will be called, Micah in honor of the place where he was conceived.”

Silence fell upon the room and confused faces turned to look at each other. Finally the doctor looked up at me with a puzzled look on his face.

“As in For-mica.” I said.

It took a moment for realization to dawn upon the assembled team and then the laughter rolled across the room like a tidal wave. It was the sound I wanted to be the very first my son heard as he entered the world; the sound of laughter-the sound of people sharing a happy moment in a world that hasn’t seemed very funny of late.

Two days later the head of the department came by for the obligatory visit.

“You must be Felicia. This is the baby, Micah and you must be the hippie daddy everyone is talking about.”

Felicia and I looked at her a little puzzled and she said,” Let me just say this; I arrived at work this morning at six-thirty a.m. and by seven-thirty a.m. I’d heard the Formica story four times. Your joke is now legendary in this hospital, Mr. Bauman.”


On a sad note...

Baby Micah is back in the hospital being treated for Jaundice. Yes, it sucks big time. We got to have him at home for one day and now he’s been back at the hospital for the past two days.

We hope he will back where he belongs tomorrow. Felicia has been staying with him and I have been visiting and taking care of the home-front. I miss them both so very much.

"Its okay, dad I'm catching some rays and the food is awesome!"


28 Comments:

Blogger SQT said...

He's beautiful. Fortunately jaundice is pretty easy to treat (two nephews who had brief hospital stays for jaundice). Hopefully he'll be home very soon and you can enjoy getting to know your son.

Congratulations.

April 29, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger notfearingchange said...

They will be home soon.... :-D

April 29, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Dazd said...

Such a handsome baby! Dpn't sweat the jaundice...Dazd Jr. had a bout of it.

And don't be surprised if there's a wing at the hospital named after you. lol

April 29, 2007 5:50 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

awwwww...he's adorable...congrats again! Jaundice should clear up soon, from all i've heard. :) Looking forward to hearing more baby stories!!! :)

April 29, 2007 7:11 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Jaundice is pretty common. Not to worry. A few days of rays and he'll be great! It'll give Felicia a few days to rest up.

April 29, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

awww, proud papa! They will be home before you know it!

April 29, 2007 9:14 PM  
Blogger Pepper said...

Less than a month old and he is "tanning."

He is a beautiful baby. Picture perfect. They will be home soon and sleepless nights and wonderful memories will be coming your way. Enjoy this time, it is precious.

April 29, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

Congratulations! the most amazing experience of your life is about to begin full time. enjoy every min. a good looking boy.

hope all are home safely soon. big hugz and more hugz for mom & the little man.

April 29, 2007 11:01 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

So you uncorked a "formica" gag already, eh?

I guess there's no way to counter or even top that!

Get it?

Counter?

Top?

Oh, how could I sink so low?

April 30, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

I'm sure your little underdog will have a speedy recovery. I've heard of this happening, and like sqt said, it's a easy fixer-upper! My prayers are with your little one!

As far as being there for the whole process and cutting the cord------you are QUITE the man!!!

My mother always said this, ....she said to never let your husband see you have birth. (Now mind you, my mother's a little off her rocker...but these words stuck to me.) She said the reason for this is, they'll see you as a baby maker and not a 'wife'. I TOTALLY DISAGREE with this, but my mother never, ever let my father into the room while giving birth. Vanity is a terrible thing, isn't it?

Your photo is adorable! You two look like partners in crime!

God bless!!!!

April 30, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

You are just beaming, and he is just glowing with baby-beauty.

Hope Felicia and Micah will be back on the home front by the time you read this.

Blessings and continued joy to you.

April 30, 2007 10:15 AM  
Blogger Kati said...

Dang dude, I thought you meant 10 hours, not 22!!!! Goes to show how sucky my math skills are. ;)

Also LOL over your formica story.

Sorry to hear you've been seperated from your little guy yet again, but as sqt said, jaundice is very treatable and they should be home rather quickly so y'all can get on with the business of figuring life out together.

April 30, 2007 12:35 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

I must say,for just having a baby you look FANTASTIC Dirk!

April 30, 2007 1:18 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Okay now I get that the bambino is a beautiful, bouncing boy. Your post is glowing, you do realize that.

He'll be home soon enough.

Be well

April 30, 2007 1:37 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Sleep while you can. The fun begins when you get him home for good. He's a beautiful baby.

April 30, 2007 3:19 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

OH you and baby look awesome...and sqt is right jaundice is easy to treat and baby will be home before you know it....

cheers my friend

April 30, 2007 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, the jaundice is more common than people know, all four of mine had it to one degree or other.

Congratulations papa, he is one handsome little dude.

April 30, 2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

I swear I just say twins Dirk, I hope that he gets better soon. You made quite the impression at he hosptial. Congrats again man.

April 30, 2007 7:50 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Oooh, I just thought of another one...

So that's how you form Micah, eh?

Well, you know, birth is a painfull process.

April 30, 2007 8:04 PM  
Blogger Citymouse said...

Congrats and dont worry jaundice happens

April 30, 2007 8:15 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Aww!! Poor Dirk. Both of my kids had jaundice, Andy worse than Emily. He was under the light at the hospital for a day, then they sent us home with one he was supposed to wear, but it didn't fit. We set him up in his swing and put it around him, then wrapped a blanket around to keep the light from getting out. He looked like a little alien baby!

April 30, 2007 9:02 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Craig - Well done, oh pun master!

Thanks everyone, Micah is still in the hospital and I am still missing both my wife and son...

Jaundice sucks.

April 30, 2007 10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boy was severely jaundiced, and he's doing great now- he's 11 and is almost as tall as me with bigger feet.
Also, he like NEVER gets sick.

I say all this to help quell any possible concerns you may have- jaundice is usually just a little bump in the road!

May 01, 2007 9:57 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

Ooooh he is lovely....and Jaundice can be no biggie when they are taking good care of him.

Congrats Dad!

May 01, 2007 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh what a wonderful photo of you the proud papa and your beautiful son. i am so happy for you! i hope he comes home soon!

May 01, 2007 7:36 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Dirk, so sorry about the return to the hospital. I've been away from the computer for a few days and missed out! Hope things are better now. And I love the story of where his name came from! LOL

May 02, 2007 3:04 PM  
Blogger TulipGirl said...

Rejoicing with you!

May 04, 2007 9:17 PM  
Blogger Pursey Tuttweiler said...

What a lovely story. Now, tell the truth, is the For-Micah story true or did you make up that joke after you picked the name? Either way, it is hilarious. Besides that, Formica is a good, durable product, and who wouldn't want to be named after a good, durable product?

June 05, 2007 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger