<

April 30, 2007

Everybody's in show biz, it doesn't matter who you are.


"Do you think the divine proportion should be super-sized?"


Thanks to Danielle from Modern Musings for stopping by to interview me. She runs one of my favorite contests each week, Random Lyrics. She is a very cool hippie activist and I enjoy visiting her blog on a daily basis.

Now, I've been a bit worried about people thinking I've become just another mommy blog so I welcomed her opportunity to write about something other than my domestic foray into the world of fatherhood. After all, I'm sure most of you are not interested in reading about the most perfect and wonderful child born into the world during this current century. So without further ado let’s get to the questions.


1. With the new addition's arrival fast approaching what scares you the most about being a father and what are you most looking forward to?

I am so scared that by the time I got around to having a child that the planet will fall apart around him. Will he see honey bees? Will he be able to breathe air without wearing a filtration mask? Will the ocean be clean enough for him to swim in? Will there be woods for him to walk in and discover the beauty of the natural world?


At my age I look forward to every single moment I get to share with my son. As my regulars readers already know, Micah has been in the hospital for the past three days now and it is tearing my heart out to be apart from him. I want every moment I can possibly spend with him. What do I look forward to the most? Every waking moment I get to share his adventure through life.


2. Name three events that have molded you into what you are today?

1. The death of my mother.
2. Marriage
3. Going to college in my forties.


3. Are you retired from the fight club for good?

Yes! However, I did learn a couple good lessons from the experience.

First, when I’m in a negative, agitated or stressed state of consciousness it is time to step away from the computer and not up to it.

Second, the most important form of comment moderation we can practice is in the words we think about leaving on another person’s blog.

Does the comment promote disharmony? This is the litmus test I now apply to all of my comments. If I think the answer might even possibly be yes then I censor my own words before I worry about those of another.


4. What are your thoughts on the divine proportion?

Can I get fries with that?


5. Now the kid is all grown up and comes to you and says "Dad, we need to talk, I'm registering Republican", how will you handle the situation?

It is my hope that my son will always feel free to approach me about any subject and say, “Dad, we need to talk.” I don’t believe that it is my job as a parent to prepare my son to walk in my footprints. My son’s journey will not be through my past but onward towards the world of tomorrow. In order to make the most of his future my son must be prepared think for himself and to arrive at solutions to problems I may never have faced in my lifetime. I do not enable him to succeed in that task if I insist he only fill his mind with the beliefs I hold to be true. I will always try to honor his thoughts, his beliefs and his choices as he makes his way through his life.


11 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

So great. I wasn't expecting the answers so fast with wondrous Micah's arrival and all.
I am so with you on number 5, we can teach them, give them tools but ultimately they make up their own minds and that is what it is all about.

I do so hope he comes home soon.

Much love to you all.

May 01, 2007 2:03 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

That was a great interview. Excellent questions and answers.

There really isn't much threat of your son becoming a Republican. Is there? LOL

May 01, 2007 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concerning number 5, can I just say that generally speaking, dads are like little xerox machines (not to say that he won't be independant of you, or that he won't think on his own). But we as parents have such a heavy responsiblity to be the ultimate example to our children. They tend to follow what we do, rather than what we say.

I hope that wasn't too heavy of a comment, but folks much wiser than I have given me that advice concerning parenting, and I have seen it to hold true.

May 01, 2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

Well, as long as "honoring his choices" doesn't include a weekly visit to Chuck E. Cheese, I'm down with it.

May 01, 2007 11:52 AM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

zen wizard - I'm raising my boy vegan...

He will never see a McDonalds or Chucky Cheese until he is at least thirty-seven.

My son will learn to forage in the back yard for nuts and berries the moment he gets home.

Five days of breastfeeding is more than enough, its time to grow up and be a man.

May 01, 2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Happy May Day Dirk & Family!!!! Hope you're reunited soon!

May 01, 2007 1:00 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Cool questions and answers. you are taking to this father thing like fish to a water. I hope I will also. One day

May 01, 2007 1:10 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

Hi Dirk_Star, how are you doing? Just wanted to stop by to say hello to you and I hope all is well. Is Micah over jaundice? I think I had that as a baby. I've never been exactly sure what it is.

May 01, 2007 6:46 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Micah is home and doing well.

Daddy has the sleep technique mastered...

Momma is getting some rest at last.

May 01, 2007 10:42 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Got what I wanted.
I am so glad he is home.
Came just for this news.

Make him a hearty man, I'm all for foraging skills.

May 02, 2007 1:02 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

"I don’t believe that it is my job as a parent to prepare my son to walk in my footprints. My son’s journey will not be through my past but onward towards the world of tomorrow. In order to make the most of his future my son must be prepared think for himself and to arrive at solutions to problems I may never have faced in my lifetime. I do not enable him to succeed in that task if I insist he only fill his mind with the beliefs I hold to be true. I will always try to honor his thoughts, his beliefs and his choices as he makes his way through his life."

that was pretty close to my response when a cousin asked me about my parenting ambitions. Protect and serve basically!

May 13, 2007 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger