<

June 20, 2007

Teach your parents well...

The way, the truth and the light...

Yes, it has been awhile since I last posted a blog entry. It is not as if I haven’t tried to do so. It is just that the last eight weeks have been so filled with quiet wonder that it has taken me a little while to process the lessons my son has presented to me. Indeed a baby does change everything. The biggest change for me has been one of perspective. In the past eight weeks it has dawned upon me that the very things I spent the majority of my adult life running away from; relationships, marriage, family and children are now the most satisfying events I’ve ever known in my life.

I can not begin to tell you how many years I spent in the hippie search for purpose and meaning. I partook of peyote on the mountaintops of New Mexico; I studied the many philosophies of the world seeking the ultimate truth. I involved myself in the political causes of social protest and ideological revolution. I partied like Timothy Leary on steroids and pursued the pleasures of the flesh like Admiral Byrd looking for the North Pole. I savaged the natural world looking for the great truth of reality.

Marriage, family and children represented to me the loss of individual freedom and the ruination of the spiritual quest I believed to be the most important aspect of the human experience. Even the Apostle Paul urged Christians to avoid marriage if at all possible in the search for God. (1 Corinthians Chapter 7 verses 6-9) Marriage ended the walk along the spiritual path. Family distracted one from the single-minded devotion to the quest for spiritual enlightenment. Children were the anchor that weighed one down in the drudgery of human toil until the soul lay abandoned and forgotten in the quagmire of the mundane world. I ran from the life of a married man like frightened animals flee before the onslaught of a forest fire.

Then came the moment I watched as my son entered the world and the deep truth of life at last revealed itself to my humbled eyes. Looking down upon my son just before I cut the umbilical cord I saw the infinite vine of life stretching forth from an ancient yesterday and growing forward into an infinite tomorrow. The Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end; I saw God as he has always revealed himself to the world, in the body of a newborn child. It was the miracle I’d waited a lifetime to witness but believed would never manifest itself in my life.

Here is a marvelous truth. Marriage is not the end of the spiritual path but rather it is the beginning of it. As you walk along the road of marriage you learn the greatest of spiritual lessons; commitment and devotion, faith and belief in one greater than yourself, the greater love found only in loving forgiveness and the joy of daily service to another. Marriage is the sacred ground upon which the holy temple of family will come to be built. A child is not an anchor weighing down the soul but is instead the vessel which will carry the union of two souls in marriage into the infinite universe of tomorrow. Heaven is reflected in the eyes of the child resting in your arms as your eyes fill with the tears of gratitude to have been so blessed with the gift you hold. It is a miracle I can not deny the reality of.

Marriage, family and children, the very institutions I avoided for so long in my life have turned out to be the very best events in which I have ever participated. I have one last confession to make before I return to holding my son in my arms. I did not understand the true nature of God until with one snip of surgical scissors I harvested from the vine of life a small portion of him to love and nurture as my very own.


The smartest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life was to accept the apple from the tree of knowledge my wife held out to me...


Life in the garden of Eden.

23 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Aaaahhh the way revealed in the natural process of biological creation. I've been thinking about you and the fam a lot lately and every time I post I use the target="blank". I was getting worried and am so glad to see that all in well.

Much love sent your way. He is sooo cute checking out the trees in the park. This time is the best. The seasoned mom within says yep he's nice and quiet now and doesn't think Dad's record collection needs improvement then proceeds with scissors and barehands.

June 21, 2007 5:35 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

The little nippers make you focus, I will give them that.

It also gives you a good grasp of "what's important."

Suddenly, your proficiency at Xbox, for example, is not as important. Or what the ass-wipe in the next cubicle thinks of you...

June 21, 2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

...but whether Aquaman is gay or not is important, even if the old lady drops ten more 'rats.

I just thought of that so I had to add it...

June 21, 2007 7:01 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Dirk! You're back!

Haven't heard from you for six weeks so I decided that you had decided to move on to other things like .... oh I don't know ... being a parent or something. I knew deleting your blog from my blogroll would bring you back. It did the last time!! LOL

I swear I deleted it 3 hours before you showed up again. Welcome back!

Your son is beautiful! You're already a great father too!

June 21, 2007 7:28 PM  
Blogger Em said...

Good to hear from you again! Ya know, all those things you did on that search just makes you an even better husband and father now! All our experiences add up and make us more complete.

Enjoy the little one!

June 21, 2007 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you would be having fun :)

He is a little cutie, your little man.

June 21, 2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Ah it is so nice to see friends...

The little man is the coolest experience I've ever known.

We could not have asked for a baby with a better attitude. He is sleeping in six hour stretches as if he knows our needs and is concerned with our well being.

Micah, "who is like God". I am so glad I did not miss this part of life...

June 21, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Wow.... Loving the pics, Dirk!!!! Glad to see you & Felicia are loving parenthood!!!!

Enjoy it as much as you can now, because all too soon that darling boy will learn the power of the word "NO" and how fast his little legs can move. *BWG*

June 21, 2007 10:06 PM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

awww! Beautifully written post about the discovery of love and acceptance.

SO glad that your son has shown you the most important things in life are the simpliest.

June 21, 2007 10:19 PM  
Blogger katy said...

calling over from jay's blog. you got a beautiful baby, happy daddy days

June 22, 2007 1:47 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Judging from the first photo, it looks as though someone has been teaching the little guy to smile... All kidding aside, he's beautiful.

Funny how (for many of us) our scariest moments are those when we consider we might have accidentally (or otherwise) created another human being; while probably the most rewarding moments we will ever experience flow from that creation.

Glad you three are well and recognizing the blessings that are yours.

June 22, 2007 7:03 AM  
Blogger Dazd said...

He is such an handsomeyoung man.

welcome to the world of fatherhood Dirk.

June 22, 2007 8:45 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

I don't think anyone understands life until you have children of your own. Even then, it's still a mystery. The only thing I know is that children give it a new meaning. You can see the world in their eyes...it's a miracle. You almost get to live all over again.

I hope you always remember this feeling, especially when he gets older and takes the family car out for a spin and leaves you a few dents and scratches =P

Congrats again!!

June 22, 2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Great to see that all is well. You have a good looking family there. AGlad to see you back.

June 22, 2007 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you opened the spiritual door, I must also make note that the Bible speaks of a marriage as being a representation of Christ and his church. The most common place to hear this analogy is, natuarally at weddings, but the roots of it run all through the marriage. Christ, the loving provider, sacrificial lover and prince of peace and the bride, his church, the recipiant of blessing and the pure unspotted bride. It's such a beautiful picture to me!

And of course, children are the ultimate lesson in that as our children look up to us, we look up to God.

Wonderful, inspiring post, Dirk!

June 22, 2007 3:12 PM  
Blogger Arcturus said...

Congratulations, Dirk_Star. I'm glad you've finally found a happy place and a peaceful path in life.

June 22, 2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

I'm three & a half years into the process and am quite a bit frayed at the seams, but you have nailed it, my blogging buddy.

Best of everything wished for youse three, says I.

June 22, 2007 8:57 PM  
Blogger notfearingchange said...

He's so adorable. Okay the post is making my clock tick...now must go and make that noise hush down a bit for a little while.

June 23, 2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger DNR said...

WOW... You go away for 8 weeks and your first post back brings tears to my eyes.

I will live vicariously through you, and love my children all the more.

June 25, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

The truth has been revealed, in the next phase of your individual spiritual path. You don't have to be alone to find spiritual awareness. I am happy for your awakening. May many years of understanding and spiritual education await you. Remember to look into the mirror he is holding for you while revealing his own individualism.

peace brother. your are one of the lucky ones. My little man's daddy will never have the blessings you have because he has chosen to be selfish and ignorant. enjoy every min!

June 26, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger Pepper said...

He is a beautiful baby. You and your wife are so fortunate. Enjoy him and take advantage of every moment to be with him. I am glad you are back but if you should take another 8 weeks off I will understand.

June 26, 2007 11:09 PM  
Blogger SQT said...

Parenthood teaches us humility does it not?

Beautiful post.

June 27, 2007 11:30 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

He is beautiful!
And your post is perfect....

It is a life altering experience and while we endure poop, puke and sleep deprivation it is with a new perspective and joy and we know we are truly blessed.

June 27, 2007 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger