<

December 14, 2006

Blackbird singing in the dead of night...

The ankle blog connected to the leg blog...


A little story today from the wonderful world of nature...

One of the most amazing things I’ve ever witnessed occurred when I spent some time out west living in a commune up on top of a mesa. Close enough to our hippie refuge to be seen clearly with a good pair of binoculars a mother eagle built her nest.

For days she gathered the nastiest bits of prickly thorns and sticks. Then she wove them together until she’d built what appeared t be a primitive basket. Once the basket was complete she began pulling tufts of down from her breast and started lining it with the soft material.

After a short time the prickly basket was only visible from underneath the nest. The top of the structure was a beautiful and warm world of downy softness. This is when the mother eagle laid her eggs.

Once the eggs hatched the little eaglets were so cute. They loved their little nest and felt so safe and secure in the warm downy home where they lived. The little ones ate slept and played and life was so good. Then one day came where it was time to grow up...

As the eaglets grew towards adolescence the mother eagle began pulling bits of the downy comforter out of the nest. The young eaglets began feeling the thorny supports of the nest and were not so happy any more. Soon they were hanging out on the fringes of the nest and looking for more comfortable digs. That’s when the mother eagle began teaching her young how to fly.

Each day the mother would spend time with her eaglets preparing them for flight. The process is amazing if you’ve never seen it. She will pick up a chick and place it on her back. She then leaps off the nest and soars high into the afternoon sky. She will then circle and roll over so that the baby eaglet plummets towards the earth below.

The little eaglet flaps its wings and screeches like a doomed infant. That’s when the mother swoops down to catch her baby and returns it to the nest. It is truly a thing to behold. She will continue doing this until the eaglets have strong wings and should be able to fly on their own.

One day she picks up an eaglet and soars up into the skies above. This time when she drops it, if it does not fly upon its own she does not catch it and it crashes into the ground below and dies. Life is tough I the world of eagles...

Why am I telling you this story? Because our mother Blogger has decided that it is time for its little bloglets to leave the old nest and soar into the new world of Blogger Beta. Yes, I know the old nest was comfortable and familiar. I know you don’t want to leave the warm confines of a place you know and trust.

Is it getting harder to comment on your friends blogs? Are old tricks not working so well anymore? Maybe it is time to risk the move and fly on over to Beta. Don’t worry, I’m waiting for you. Trust me, you’ll be just fine. Besides, you don’t want momma blogger to drop you and let you crash. You don’t want to die do you?

C’mon, flap those wings and get on over here...

I won’t post anonymous comments any longer. I mean it!

Jump little bloglets or die.

It is for your own good.


Come to papa!

Labels: , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger skeet said...

Man, you're tough! Sure am glad I already passed that particular toll booth.

December 14, 2006 1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NO! I don't Beta. I'll wait until all of the bugs are worked out. I'll wait until I hear positive things about the new Blogger instead of the negative stuff I'm hearing now.

It took a lot of work to get my blog the way it is. Ok not a lot, but it took work. I know it may not look like it but it's true. I don't want to have to do it all over again until I know it will be worth it.

BTW, THIS IS HOW YOU POST COMMENTS WITHOUT SWITCHING TO BETA:

Hit the "other" button and just type in your name and URL (I usually paste the URL). It's what I've been doing and it works just fine.

I am the voice of dissent!

I wonder if Dirk will post this.

I don't care if you think I'm a luddite.

December 14, 2006 2:24 AM  
Blogger DNR said...

Already here.

December 14, 2006 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't quite figure this out. Do I have to create a completely new blogger profile and everything? Then is it a cut-and-paste marathon to migrate my old blog to beta? WTF, Chuck! If I sign in to beat.blogger it bounces me over to the "old" blogger. Oh, sweet mother of pearl! What's a doughy, middle-aged guy to do?

December 14, 2006 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't wanna switch and if that means you drop me and I fall crashing to my death, than so be it. *Sniff, Sniff*

How could you be so heartless? The fact that we still come here and try to comment and still read your blog even though we know we may not get credit for it, should be a sign of our dedication to you. But NOOOOOOO!!

*Flips hair*

December 14, 2006 7:58 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

I've been doing what Whim suggests, and it works fine (albeit a bit tedious).

Once you make the switch, there's no way to know how things back in Pre-Beta are working. Maybe they're having some of the same problems we are.

When I switched, I had to go back through all of my old posts and re-format them so they looked okay. It was a pain, but eventually everything got corrected. I do like some of the new Beta features (although my memory is hazy regarding how it compares to Old Blogger).

Dirk, you seem to be the family leader in technical savvy, and - true to your word - you help us navigate the world of html when we ask you to. If you believe that Beta's time has come, then I'd advise others to listen up and go there.

December 14, 2006 9:24 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

eep!
Glad I'm already flying.. I started on beta, and I think it's great. And whimsical.. why not just keep your original blog, and start a new one in beta and test moving things over that way? Just a thought :)

December 14, 2006 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

Hey Dirk, I switched! Are you happy now? And get this, you aren't showing up on my blog (when you commented) see what happens?? ~Snicker~

December 14, 2006 10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, BTW...

Stick a fork in it! It's done!

December 14, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

"We're soaaarriiingg... we're flyyyiiinngg!!! There's not a star in heaven that we can't reach..."

Eherm. Seen too much of "High School Musical" with the kids, pardon me.

Jeez... would you believe I spent 6 hours researching, posting, and editing, and posting again, and revising, and posting my latest post?

Man, blogging is hard work!

December 14, 2006 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care if you post it or not.. you still see it! ;)

If its time to fly... why is it still a TEST site?

I would hope they would let us know when all the bugs are worked out and its good to go.

This from a LONG time BETA tester, that did way to much of it IRL work.

(hell, they can't even get the TAB sequence down correctly.. that should not be that hard to fix.)

December 14, 2006 1:09 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Exceptionally well put. I have noticed now that I moved to Beta about 2 months ago that I have gradually not been able to visit others sites...or folks that I had on my link list don't connect...I thought it was just me. But it is Bloggers fault...Yippee...I am not a loser....well that can be contested....lol....

Things are fine in storm land...another front coming in this evening..so I am trying to get done what I must before I possible lose power again.

Yes you must fly....fly little birde...fly to beta land....

December 14, 2006 1:56 PM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

i think everyone is going to be forced to go beta eventually. you can always save your template and re-install it. i had a lot of doubts about beta blogger but then i switched and i love it! there is so much more ease to setting things up.

so come on...dirk has the right idea...go beta!

December 14, 2006 3:19 PM  
Blogger Ripple said...

I didn't want to switch, but I was forced to. i couldn't comment anymore and I didn't know that trick that whim mentioned. So, I'm still having problems with comments. Go figure...

December 14, 2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

I switched.

It was easy.

There are not any more bugs with Beta than there are with the original.

Change is good.

Don't be afraid of change.

December 14, 2006 6:03 PM  
Blogger Em said...

What a wonderfully funny way to lead those slackers to the promised land.

December 14, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger Citymouse said...

i went beta a few weeks ago, it aint so bad

December 14, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Muhd Imran said...

I have learnt and flown a few days after Beta was out for trials, and never looked back.

December 14, 2006 11:41 PM  
Blogger Pepper said...

I jumped from my thorny nest a long time ago. I struggled with the template, struggle with setting it up, and now I am able to spread my wings and soar....

Good post.

December 15, 2006 11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add me to Whim's choir!

This is a joke, right? I mean I CAN'T switch to Beta because my blog is too big- for months I've been trying-for months Blooger has told me to wait- now I'm cut off- and you're telling me to jump and fly?
Point me to the nearest bridge.

I'm too tired to fly. Surfing blogs has become hard work.

December 15, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

And it's not because I'm afraid of change-even though I am.
All my other blogs are beta or off-blooger entirely.

It won't let me switch, I'm tellin ya!

-Allan

December 15, 2006 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger