<

December 11, 2006

All the world astounds me and I think I understand...

What is wrong with this picture?


The problem with walls is just how quickly that which was built to protect us first encircles and then imprisons us. Right now there are a lot of walls in our country, imprisoning, separating and isolating us one from another. There are so many of us living alone within the walled confines of our homes huddled around our families and living in fear. All according to the great plan...

You see, we live in a society whose economic engine is driven by fear. Most people believe that the fuel that runs our economy is greed or gluttony. Nothing could be further from the truth. The corporate masters who currently rule our country have learned the value of fear in the mind of the consumer.

That’s right, if we the American consumer are in a state of fearfulness, we shop and we shop in bulk. Think about the advertisements you watch; is your family protected, is your pantry stocked, getting enough vitamins, are you sleeping too little or too much? We are kept in a false sense of anxiety so that we consume. That is why we are an obese society. I may not have time later so I’d better consume something now.

Fear is the new motivator. Sure, sex still sells luxury automobiles, women’s products and beer but fear sells everything else. What do we do when we are nervous? That’s right, we consume. If we aren’t consuming then we’re hoarding against an uncertain future. When was the last time you felt really anxiety free? Sadly, this is the new American way.

The new American way is to live in constant state of fear. We fear the aliens from outer space. We fear the government conspiracy. We fear differing nationalities and those of different colors. We fear our neighbors and their religions. And increasingly, we fear even ourselves. As a result we are a society of walls sharing only one thing in common; consuming as a way of holding our fear at bay. And it is all in the name of profit.

We are being programmed to feel afraid. You don’t have to believe me. Watch your television, listen to your radio or read your newspapers and periodicals and count how many stories are about threats or surviving deadly peril. You’ll be surprised at the amount of anxiety inducing programming you’ll encounter. You’ll probably find yourself walking into the kitchen for something to consume.

My belief is that the real world is not so scary. I believe that if God truly created the world he created it as a way of sustaining life and not as a way of destroying it. I believe the corporate masters have perverted our view of the natural world. The natural world is a good place and not the never ending series of horrors it is being made out to be. In fact, I believe if you simply headed out into the world with nothing more than you could carry on an motorcoach you’d learn just how wonderful a place the planet truly is.

And thus we arrive at the destination point of today’s post; Pepper's blog. According to this woman she managed to break free from her corporate cubicle and headed off into the world armed only with her good friend and copilot, her mother. What? Oh yes, I can hear you now, “Danger Will Robinson, Danger! What are these women thinking?"

Well, I certainly can’t tell you what these two pioneering spirits are thinking, but thanks to Pepper’s blog I can tell you what they are experiencing. They are seeing the miracles of the world around them. They are viewing natural wonders and they are meeting kind strangers and turning them into good friends. This is why Pepper has become one of my new found heroes; she has broken free of her shackles and is living outside of the walls of fear. She is living a life filled with adventure and joy.

Pepper’s posts are always filled with good humor and a sense of expectation. I’ve never read a single word of fear in her writings. There are anecdotes, funny stories, tales of campgrounds and people, but never once have I read a tale of horror. She proves the truth of what I believe each and every day. The world is a marvelous and wonderful place.

Pepper’s blog is a montage of life. It is a place of faith, love and the unabashed expectation of adventure around every turn. She is living proof that the further you journey from fear the closer you come to the experience of excitement and wonder that the creator intended us to live in from the very first moment He created us.

Thank you, Pepper. You are the freest person I know; God’s speed on your journey. Please keep your posts coming; they are a wonderful example of the difference between walking in faith with God and burying one’s head in the sand of manmade fear.





Labels: , , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger skeet said...

Well, shoot! I was going to argue with your basic premise until I got right down to the bottom. Then your description of Pepper's life got to me where I live. I grew up going on family road trips and campouts. I loved sleeping outdoors in a canvas tent or visiting little out-of-the-way places that were off of the beaten tourist path. I alwas wanted to share those same experiences with my son, but I never did. The very idea terrified me when he was young. A woman and child traveling alone in this big, bad world? Nope, not us. By the time my son was old enough and big enough to provide a sense of protection, he had his own agenda. He had no enthusiasm for something that I had loved as a child, probably because he'd never had any exposure to it as a child himself. So we missed out on some wonderful opportunities because I was afraid. I salute Pepper and her mother, but I would never do what they're doing at this point in my life either. Yep, still afraid.

Damn, I was looking forward to a spirited debate! Maybe next time. right now I've got to go check my deadbolts & make sure the outdoor lights came on for the night.

December 11, 2006 1:10 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Another great post and another wonderful blog to visit. Thank you!

December 11, 2006 1:10 AM  
Blogger Phats said...

This was nice thought out post. Sometimes we take for granted the cost of freedom living in America as well

December 11, 2006 1:19 AM  
Blogger DNR said...

Another great commentary Dirk. Thanks!!

Peper, here I come!!

December 11, 2006 6:51 AM  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

I read her blog and I liked the quote on it "any day above ground is a good day". It reminded me of this joke:

Four men were out golfing. "These hills are getting steeper as the years go by," one complained.

"The sand traps seem to be bigger than I remember them too," said the third senior.

After hearing enough from his senior buddies, the oldest and the wisest of the four of them at 87 years old, piped up and said, "Just be thankful we're still on the right side of the grass!"

December 11, 2006 10:07 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

The walls that we build to keep people out end up keeping us in. Absolutely.

And it is all about fear. Be afraid, Be afraid! That's all we hear from the news and the gov't.

December 11, 2006 10:55 AM  
Blogger DNR said...

Quite the blog, thanks again for finding another gem. Pepper has to go on my blogroll.

December 11, 2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

I have always dreamed of backpacking around the world and always thought the best way to travel is to carry no maps and have no sense of direction.

A lot of people fear they'd get loss along the journey. Some fear they'd find no shelter to settle in. While others are just afraid to not have a sense of control over the situations they are in.

Kudos to pepper and her mom for being "fearless" and achieving freedom in their own accord.

December 11, 2006 11:34 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

Would you adopt a rascal this Christmas?

-Sniff-sniff-

December 11, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I didn't get all the way through--these guys always come in here and make me DO SOMETHING for that 50k a year, and that's a bummer.

But I think I know where this is going.

At Michigan State I took an advertising class on subliminal advertising, and it's amazing how much Thanatos/death imagery is in advertising notwithstanding the Congressional ban on it.

A good example is the old Camel logo, which includes a Jungian death mask above the camel's front left thigh muscle, and also the one-humped camel elicits a subconcious "fear of infertility" in males, as the hump represents pregnancy.

December 11, 2006 1:08 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

Another great commentary.

Now I'm going to go back to my simple little stories about my penis. ;)

Steve~

December 11, 2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Spoke said...

lcjwtHere in the small country of Canada, fear is not the greatest decider of our ways, or so it seems. Our news coverage tells us what is happening and then we are free to react to that info as we like. Or not. I've travelled extensively in America,the people's sence of fear is rather evident. I'm sorry to say, the people I've met on my travels there, are not very friendly at first. Up here, we are surrounded by tv/sattelite channels from the South, and the news style is completely different to be certain. Every broadcast from CNN to FOX provokes the American public by asking the question; "What if..."
To their credit, it works and works well!
The West Coast Province of B.C. lacks this fear, where I grew up, but the Province of Alberta is very frightened. Many people quietly utter "what if". Probably the most blatant evidence of this would be money. Make it,invest it,hoard it and lie that you have any.You never know what COULD happen...
I always thought it funny-sad what your currency states:
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Sadly, nothing could be further from the truth.
What if, during your lifetime, people died, you got sick, you earned money, spent it and lost it? What if all you ever really had was your faith, family and friends. What if you have lived this long so far...
No fear mate, it hasn't been too bad has it?

December 11, 2006 3:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi sweetie! Just wanted to drop by and say hello. I hope the thought of my carpet hasn't distracted you too much today. ;-)

December 11, 2006 4:19 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

I agree with the anxiety-programming hard-sell theory you've put forth.

If I ever get my Zappa anecdote wrapped up, maybe I'll do a blog posting of my take on the subject.

Thanks for the link to pepper's site, BTW.

TTFN

December 11, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Great post Dirk:

It is sad that Americans are being led around by fear.

Our government wants us to be afraid, so we will not stand against injustice.

The corporations wants us to be afraid of losing our jobs so they can take away more of what we have earned.

The real enemies sit and watch Americans cowering in fear and defeating ourselves.

December 11, 2006 7:34 PM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

I am not afraid...honestly I am not...I live in my own little world and I try to make my children happy. The world is a sad place sometimes, so it is up to YOU to make it and take out of it what you want while you are here.

If that means I am ignorant, so be it..I just want to have fun.

Girls just wanna have fun!! =)

December 11, 2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger masgblog said...

thanks for the Pepper info. I visited, and dreamed, and will visit again.

:-)

December 11, 2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Citymouse said...

Fear, yep, it rules way too many people.

December 11, 2006 11:46 PM  
Blogger Nipizan said...

Awesome post!

I have a wall in front of me now...white wall! It's called 'mental wall' if there's such a term!

Don

December 12, 2006 4:18 AM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

thanks dirk! you always lead me to such wonderful people!

December 12, 2006 7:36 AM  
Blogger Pepper said...

My comment didn't show up.

What did I say? I am an old lady with a feeble brain.

I absolutely loved what you wrote. No one has ever said such nice things about me. It brought my mother to tears. You are such a neat person with a wonderful way with words. I am so glad you stumbled upon my blog and in turned I found yours.

There is no fear. I have had a lot of situations that should of made me go running off. Like "hey can you hold my gun" Yep that really happened. You are not allowed in a government office with a weapon. Chasing my daughter down a street in Guatemala because Americans were definitely not welcomed there. Fortunately a cab driver stopped her. Almost drowned in Lake Peten. I never laughed so hard in my life. Slighly overweight, smoker in the middle of lake making jokes to my daughter like "I wonder how long I can tread water?" Fear limits a person and takes away so much. Fear can even kill. It took 45 minutes but I made it to shore because I have a warped sick sense of humor. You have to be able to have the ability to leap without fear. I have been so fortunate in my life to have situations that should of made me afraid but didn't. I don't know if I have a knack for defusing a bad situation or I am just, well, stupid.

Again Thanks

December 12, 2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger Pepper said...

An airsteam is a beautiful RV. Very classy. I have a 34 foot diesel pusher, Holiday Rambler. I couldn't imagine anyone putting an aquarium in the motorhome but I am sure it has been done. In one park I captured a sugar glider. It must of escaped from a fellow RVer. I took it to the Animal Shelter because I have no need for a small animal that bites.

December 13, 2006 1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger