<

November 14, 2006

All In A Moment

Sometimes married men just don’t realize how good they’ve got it in life. Everyday living is so fine with a loving partner, green plants growing in the windows and meals that come from an oven instead of a can. Its nice waking up to clean underwear in a drawer and tubes of toothpaste you don’t have to stomp on to get something on the brush. Domesticated life with a routine gets to feel kind of warm and comforting. Then comes the moment that changes everything.

It begins the day you come home from work to find your wife dressed up in your favorite outfit. Yeah, the one that makes you all crazy when she’s barely in it and has you blushing and talking baby talk for the rest of the evening. She greets you at the door with a big hug and a kiss and then ushers you into the dinning room. The lights are dim. Soft music is playing. There is a bottle of wine chilling at the table. She pulls the chair out for you and once you’re seated, she softly kneads your shoulders. Ah, heaven...

When it happened to me I turned my head to look up into her beautiful green eyes and said, “Thank you, Angel. This is the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

“It’s not your birthday, honey.”

“Oh God, I’ve forgotten our anniversary, again.”

“Stop it, silly. Our anniversary isn’t for another three months.”

“Well, what’s going on then?”

“It’s a surprise.”

The woman of my dreams serves up the dinner of a lifetime, wearing the dress of my fantasies. This is not a routine evening. It is the perfect night I’ve always imagined with a woman. I don’t care anymore, whatever surprise she is about to spring upon me, I am ready for it. Or so I believe...

We are nestled in front of the T.V. with cups of Hazelnut coffee and dessert plates holding slices of homemade-cherry-cheese cake. Both of us are teary-eyed as we watch the movie, “Big Fish”. As the film concludes I look into the eyes of my wife and tell her, “I love you so very much.”

She throws her arms around my neck and tells me, “You are going to be the best father in the whole world.”

And in a single moment, everything changes...

I’m going to be a dad!

My wife is going to be a mother!

We are going to be parents!!

Yes, in a single moment the routine is gone.

It is so very quickly replaced by a new and sometimes scary chaos; Pregnancy.

To be continued...

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger DNR said...

Congrats!!!
I can't help but wonder what else may be changing...

November 15, 2006 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to the lucky mon and dad-to-be.

November 15, 2006 5:08 AM  
Blogger Citymouse said...

congrats.. you must not be married that long. If I do that too my husband, he looks for his bags by the door!

November 15, 2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Heh, Heh, Heh!

So, something went missing from your wallet and now this!

Their plan is working perfectly...

Heh, Heh, Heh!

P.S. Congrats & best wishes!

November 15, 2006 8:03 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Eddie, are you kidding? I'm going to be a grandmother?!?

November 15, 2006 8:40 AM  
Blogger Dennis said...

Congrats to the two of you.

November 15, 2006 10:51 AM  
Blogger Betty Silk said...

Hey

Just dropped by to see who was leaving encouraging comments on my lightbox, seems like it was a good time. Congratulations!

(And thanks)

Lizzie

November 15, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Spoke said...

Eddie, are you kidding?

Becoming a dad was one of the best highlites of my 43 years while crawling/standing on this planet!
Be with your wife in the delivery room later on or I'll come down there and brain ya one! You don't want to miss it...

November 15, 2006 1:58 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

I screamed for about two days when I found out I was pregnant. Screams of mock terror. Sort of. LOL!!

I knew my world was about to have the rug pulled out from under it, and even though I was excited, it was scary. Way to go, man. Enjoy the ride!

November 15, 2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger BionicBuddha said...

Very interesting story...I am still trying to enjoy the meal and my wife's outfit ;)




www.bionicbuddha.com

November 15, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

That is the scariest good news you will get in your lifetime. Congratulations! And your wife is right, you'll make a good dad.

November 16, 2006 1:56 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

You zee, vatherhood has already made you a vorrier! Ze giant-science-fiction-radioactive-pincered-mutant-bugs from Japan vould fly your baby vith great care... und it vould be safely hidden vith me ven ze revolution comes... (ze path to Canada passes beside ze lake of horrors...)

November 16, 2006 8:29 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

bonus point for your wife's creativity. at least you had cherry cheese cakes. some married men had it worse. congratulations dirk!

November 16, 2006 10:28 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Blessed is the bairn born to a wise and wary sire, cognizant of the tricks of faeries and Neocon's, appreciative of wife and home. My wizard's hat is off to you, Dirkster. L'Chiam!

November 16, 2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

wow...your life is going to change forever! you will have one more person to love! try to do all those couple things that you want to do now before the big day. a big congratulations to you!

November 16, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Joshua said...

Like so many others have said...

Congrats!

November 17, 2006 11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger