<

April 6, 2007

Looking for adventure or whatever comes my way...

Born to be wild.

When I first heard that D.N.R. was coming to town and wanted to meet up for a cup a coffee or a bite to eat I was so excited. This was going to be so cool; the biker and the hippie getting together for shots of tequila and rounds of beers in some rundown bar on the outskirts of town. I’m telling you I had visions of girls dancing on tables while we exchanged raucous tales of the road over pitchers of lukewarm beer. I could not wait to call the wife and let her know I wouldn’t be coming home because I was now riding with the Hell’s Angels.

Imagine my surprise when I walked into the Smokey Bones restaurant and was greeted by a well-groomed-normal-looking kind of regular guy. He had all of his teeth! No bugs in them either! I didn’t know what to think, I mean come on what kind of biker is well groomed and has a full set of bug free pearly whites? Then he stood up and greeted me with a hug.

It was more than my mind could comprehend. This was not the road warrior I expected to wind up standing back to back with in a drunken barroom brawl. He wasn’t even sporting club colors or leathers. As God is my witness he was wearing a plain blue shirt with tan pants. He looked like a salesman. At that point things were not looking good for my version of the Jack Kerouac post I had intended for after the planned get together.

We sat down at the table and the conversation that followed was one of warmth, friendship and camaraderie. I learned the story of how he and his wife met when he returned home after a trip to Florida to find an old flame living at his parent’s house. Twenty four years later they are still in love with a couple of great sons. I saw the pictures; he has two boys as different as night and day in appearance. To me it was a clear tribute to his strength as a father. Here was a man who clearly encouraged his sons to follow their own paths instead of imposing his own way upon them.

We dined and talked about blogging, our families and the internet community we are a part of. He shared with me the story of how he got started in the blogosphere when he stepped in for DAZD during his heart attack. He just didn’t want the man’s friends not to know what was happening. By the time our meal was finished and the desserts consumed the one thing I learned about D.N.R. that impressed me the most was his genuine compassion for people and the world around him.

Whether he is speaking about his involvement in community affairs or the activities of the Patriot Guard Riders, D.N.R. speaks from the heart. His eyes are not those of the crusading zealot and his words are soft and filled with heartfelt feeling. He is a man of conviction and belief. He is a man I would invite into my home.

Dennis, I thank you for a great afternoon. Call anytime you are in town or stop by with your wife for dinner. Felicia and I would be happy to have you as our guests.

6 Comments:

Blogger C-dell said...

This is cool man. One day when I get a job and a degree. I am going to come to Dayton to chill. May be a long time away.

April 06, 2007 12:59 PM  
Blogger Dazd said...

Glad you got to meet DNR. A genuine fellow and you described him to the tee.

Altho the "no bugs in his teeth" has me baffled. If it weren't for the pic I'd say it wasn't the same person. lol

April 06, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I think it's cool that you got to meet a fellow blogger. I'm glad you had fun.

April 06, 2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Pepper said...

That is just to cool. Oftentimes you hear on the news the horror of meeting someone that you met online. This is wonderful. Goosebumps all the way.

April 06, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger russkal said...

I envy you guys! Wish I was there with you and DNR to share some stories too.

But who knows, right?

BTW, dude, check out the latest comments in my comment box.

What the heck is going on?

April 06, 2007 2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice!

April 10, 2007 10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger