<

November 23, 2006

We Are Family...

"I wish mom had made those cool apple turkeys."


In spite of our country’s short comings at any given moment we are indeed blessed to live here. I am grateful to be able to speak my opinions on this blog without fear of governmental repercussions. At least so far, so please don’t tell anyone what I’m saying here, just in case, you know.

(It will simply be our little secret.)

This afternoon my wife and I will be sitting down to dinner with family and good friends. We will be feasting on the traditional fare; turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, stuffing and lots more including pumpkin pie. I’m so very grateful for my wonderful friends and family. They are my most cherished blessing of all.

I hope that wherever you are right now that you are thankful too. Some of us will not be home for the holidays. Some of us have forgotten our way and the value of our loved ones. I can only hope that in a world where tomorrow is never guaranteed petty grievances will be forgiven and peace will be made before it is too late. Gather your loved ones close and cherish them while there is still time to do so.

Some of us will not be home this Thanksgiving Day because we are serving our country in far away places. Words are not enough to show my gratitude for the sacrifice you make each and every day. Some of us will never come home from these lands and I ask that God receive you in heaven and shower you with a bounty of grace and tenderness.

For those of us about to sit down and enjoy the bounty of home, good food, family and friends, please pause for a moment and clasp the hand of the person next to you. Form a circle of family around the table and take a moment to savor this most precious gift. These are the memories that knit the fabric of our children’s tomorrow. Let’s make it a good one...

God bless each and every one of us, and may he keep us and protect us.

Amen

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger C-dell said...

I am very grateful for my family. I wouldn't be me without them. I cherish the time I have with them as everyone should. I am also extremly proud and happy to live in this great nation of ours. We as a nation have our problems. that hinder us at times, I wouldn't trade places with any in the world.

November 23, 2006 2:26 AM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Check out my blog sometime if I didn't say it before.

November 23, 2006 2:29 AM  
Blogger Muhd Imran said...

Hello Dirk_Star,

What you wrote is beautiful. A prayer, an awakening and reminder to oneself and to others - to cherish and be thankful for what is given each and every day.

Beautiful, flowing words from a father, a husband, a citizen, a human being.

Will be back for more. Thanks for visting my blog.

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Thanks for that unique and funny comment you left for me. Enjoy your day!

November 23, 2006 9:49 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

A wonderful Thanksgiving meditation, m' man! (That part about pettiness really speaks to me today, BTW.)

Hope you and everyone reading this has a great Thanksgiving Day and that we might all truly count our blessings.

November 23, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. This was a very nice post.

Your blog is very interesting and I will bookmark it and certainly be back. And thank you for commenting on my blog.

Have a great day!

November 23, 2006 12:44 PM  
Blogger Cinderella said...

This post was awesome..thank you for the important message! I can tell you, I have a lot to be thankful for and I never take it for granted!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2006 12:48 PM  
Blogger won tong said...

THANKS FOR VISITING MY SITE AND LEAVING SUCH A NICE COMMENT.. YOU HAVE A BLESSED DAY TODAY AND ALWAYS..HOPE TO BE BACK TO YOUR SITE , WELCOME TO MINE.

November 23, 2006 3:18 PM  
Blogger Pink Icing said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all you lovely Americans who are making me feel so very welcome during my trip in your US of A.

The Average Joe/Joanne of America is proving to be a very endearing.

Thank you

November 23, 2006 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by. And Happy Thanksgiving Day to you et al.
I'm up to my arse in alligators, will come back later to raid your recent collection, after I'm done with my chores. :)

November 23, 2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Zudy's Notes said...

I saw your comment at Naughty or Nice List.
I'm new to blogging.
Just clicking around.
Learning.
Love your picture.
I'm not very political yet.
I love that we can be free to say whatever on our blogs.
If you get a chance check mine.
Zudysnotes.blogspot.com
Haven't figured out how to add a link in the comment.
Bye
Zudy

November 24, 2006 1:24 AM  
Blogger Mr. Nauton said...

hope it was a great meal, and thank you for your fantastic posts... you have a clear grasp of what is the right direction and what is going the wrong way, and everyone can learn from your writing.

November 24, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Amen brother! ;) I hope you had a good one.

November 24, 2006 11:48 AM  
Blogger Pepper said...

This was the first Thanksgiving I spent without my kids. My sons had a great time, my daughter decided to visit her father. It was not good, so she is going to find me on Christmas and visit. I don't know where I am going to be on Christmas but I am going to be making a lot of phone calls like I did on Thanksgiving. Great Blog Thanks for the comment on mine.

November 26, 2006 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger