<

December 31, 2006

There's an island way out in the sea...

Phase one; empty the room.


Since the Christmas holiday was going to be the one time my wife and I would have the opportunity to work together on the nursery we rolled up our sleeves and got started. This used to be the computer room before I condensed this one and the game room into Eddie central. The walls were scrubbed and every inch of visible surface area was sanitized and disinfected to the best of our abilities.



Phase two; begin the cleaning and painting process.


Now begins the painting process. The room you see is about to be transformed into a light blue baby nursery with white trimaround the baseboards and windows. The finishing touch will be a ceiling border depicting frolicking dinosaurs. I think my boy will be quite happy in his new digs.


Phase three; assemble the crib.

This was the toughest part of the process for me. Assembling a baby crib is a lot like trying to solve the Rubik’s Cube. Nothing functions correctly until all the pieces are in the right position. After the use of much language, most of which I am glad my son was not here to hear, I stepped back and admired my handiwork.

This was perhaps one of the most challenging projects I’ve ever undertaken. It is also the most fulfilling task I’ve ever completed. This crib where my son will sleep is love made visible. I hope he always knows how much I’ve loved him from the moment he was conceived.


When 2006 began I never dreamt it would end with a child in my future. I have a wonderful wife and together we have been living an incredible life. For nearly three years we have shared adventures and a love the likes of which I never imagined possible.

2007 is filled with such promise. Felicia and I are moving from the state of being a happily married couple into the realm of marital completion. We are going to be a family. This is the miracle of marriage. It begins with love, matures into commitment and finally produces offspring.

Love perpetuating life’s longing for itself. How could a year end on any finer note?

I look forward to sharing so much with my new blogging buddies in the upcoming year. You have all become an important part of my circle of friends. Jay, Wizard, Whim, Pepper, Cinderella, Pixie, Skeet, Midnight Oil and so many others who have made me a part of your lives, I truly wish you the very fullest of blessings and the very best of a new year.

Happy New Year Everyone!


Labels: , , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Cinderella said...

I was on my way over to wish you a Happy New Year and I caught a new post!! Yayyy for me!!

The baby's room looks amazing, he will love it!! The colors are very calm, just what the baby ordered!!

I hope this year is filled with the same wishes you bestowed upon us. There is no greater love than that of a family.

Happy New Year!!! xoxoxoxoxo~

December 31, 2006 9:04 PM  
Blogger Larry said...

Happy New Year and stay excited about life. No matter what each day brings, good or bad, it could always be worse.

December 31, 2006 10:11 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

It looks great! I hear those cribs can really be tough.

Happy New Year Dirk!

I'm sure 2007 will bring you more joy and laughter than you ever knew life could hold.

December 31, 2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

Ohhhh, congratulations, I am so happy for you and your wife. A baby boy!!! What a beautiful way to end the year. The room looks wonderful and the crib is great (good job daddy). Happy New Year!!

December 31, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Your son is going to love it. It has much more room than where he lives now. Happy New Year to you and your.

December 31, 2006 11:30 PM  
Blogger Pepper said...

I am so happy for you. The room looks amazing! When is the little tyke making his appearance and have you two picked out a name?

You, my friend, are truly blessed and your joy and energy flows with each post. I always know that I am going to have a feel good moment when I stop by.

Happy New Year to you and your wife. Give her tummy a pat for me and wish your son a Happy New Year as well.

Blessings my friend blessing.

January 01, 2007 12:18 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Happy New Year!

January 01, 2007 12:35 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great job on the baby room and that crib is sweet. I'm pretty sure my crib wasn't pimped out like that.

2007 is a going to be an amazing year Dirkster. I really can't wait to see what all is in store for all of us.

Happy New Year!

January 01, 2007 1:10 AM  
Blogger C-dell said...

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

January 01, 2007 1:26 AM  
Blogger skeet said...

2007 is going to be good in the skeet house, but nothing compared to the year you, Felicia and the keiki will have. Oh, I envy you the excitment and newness of this coming year, and the joy in the years that will follow as you watch your son grow. There's nothing to compare it to, my friend!

January 01, 2007 5:41 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Ah, yes! The crib!

My wife found a nice floor model that was 50% off. The baby supply store was going out of business you see. And best of all, she reasoned, this puppy was already put together!

We stored it in our lower level family room until we had finished preparing the nursery. (A nice lavender witha jewel-toned border at the ceiling.)

When the pain dried we hauled it up the stair and TA DA! Yep, the crib was too wide to fit through the nursery door. So I had to take it apart and re-assembled it to get it in there.

(We'll be disassembling it soon, as our now three-year-old daughter will be getting a bed shortly...)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

January 01, 2007 7:26 AM  
Blogger Em said...

I wish you every blessing in the new year with your wife and baby! And just know that, when said baby arrives, life as you know it will cease to exist! It changes you, man! And it is all good.

January 01, 2007 8:43 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

Wow.

The Dirkster. A Daddy.

It's really happening, isn't it? Seems like yesterday when I first read your post about Felicia's announcement that you guys are having a baby.

I'm happy for you, dude. Really am. I feel like a part of your family already being able to follow your stories.

I know you'll be a good dad. And I'm proud of you for installing that crib! I remember the last time I installed one for my baby daughter (she's 7 now).

I'm telling you man... the pegs! The screws! The friggin' manual doesn't even make sense!

Oh well. At least it's over now. And most of the items you'll need doesn't take too much effort to assemble (mobiles, walkers, car seat, etc.)

Cheers and good luck, my friend!

January 01, 2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

nice looking little nursery you've got there!!!! I'd forgotten, though, how damn big cribs are!!!!! LOL Hope you didn't have too many headaches in putting it together.

January 01, 2007 7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and a collection of lullabies to complete the nursery.

January 02, 2007 4:15 AM  
Blogger Crunchy Carpets said...

I love the crib!!!
That is way cool.

Oh this is all going to be so fun for you.

Our memories of preparing for the big day are great...we had so much fun together.

We just took apart our crib and stored it.

I can't NOT say that I will not have more kids.

I just can't.

Sniff..my babies are getting big!

Happy New Year to you and your wife....and your little peanut!

January 02, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Crazy Working Mom said...

Gosh, I remember those days!!! Everything has to be neat, new, and perfect (for the first one at least)!

Congrats. Can't wait to read more about your parenting adventures.

January 03, 2007 10:46 PM  
Blogger Freakazojd said...

Wow! Now see, that is a beautiful post! My hubby and I are also expecting our first this year: on Friday, the 13th of July (how freakin' lucky can this kid be, eh?!). When are you due?

January 04, 2007 11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to both you and your wife.

January 05, 2007 7:55 PM  
Blogger Spoke said...

I've been a dad for 13 years come Feb.5 (yoiks! a teen gurl-child...pray for me!)
You want some advice mate? Good, here it is.This works for me (and her).
*Don't be too quick to "push through busy moments" within a typical family day. They are fleeting!

*Help mum OFTEN, or I'll kick your ass (or send some West coast thug proxy to do it) Deadbeat dads SUCK!

*Bring the boy up in a manner that ALWAYS respects women.

*Be a man around him always. Cry if you have to and apologize to people in front of him.

*For me, its Jesus (not whitey-righty religion) help show him God. This world is too big to do it on our own.

Happy New YearS
God speed
Spoke out

January 06, 2007 8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger