<

September 24, 2007

Happy birthday to me...

The Republican Party;
still dicking the country over on a daily basis.

Today is my birthday and I thought I’d post about the years of my life and where the journey of my days currently finds me. I was born in nineteen-fifty-four. Dwight D. Eisenhower was president of the United States and Richard M. Nixon was the vice-president. Until the George W. Bush administration I believed Tricky Dick to be the worst president our country had ever seen. Between these two incompetent buffoons I’ve seen more years of war during my lifetime than I would have ever thought possible during my pre-birth imaginings. Thank you goes out to the Republican Party for bringing so much death and destruction into my life.

My father was cutting my hair and sobbing the day J.F.K. was buried. I remember it as if it was yesterday. Then we landed on the moon and it was one of the greatest moments in the entire course of human history. Then four astronauts died on the launch pad during the Apollo series of missions and it seemed we were not nearly as godlike as we’d imagined ourselves to be. Gus Grissom was a hero to me and it tore my young heart out to see him die in such a terrible manner.

The Beatles were my first musical love and they still continue to be favorites of mine to this very day. Why John Lennon had to die in such a tragic and senseless fashion still saddens me when I think about it. It was a Monday night and it was during the Raiders game on Monday Night Football that I heard about it from the mouth of Howard Cosell. That put a damper on Monday Night football for a long time.

Did I mention that prick, Richard M. Nixon or the even bigger prick currently sacrificing the sons and daughters of our land for the sole benefit of corporate profits and personal glory, George W. Bush? How about Ronald Regan who didn’t even know his own name during most of his presidency and whose wife ran the White House with the aid of her personal astrologer? Ketchup is a vegetable, God I hate the Republican Party.

Among the events I thought I’d never live to see is the destruction of the Planet-thanks in large part to the people who care more about the stupid antics of ass-clowns like Kanye West and Fifty-cent than they do for the world they depend upon for life itself. (Sometimes I think I must be living in the land of the stupidest people in the world.) Today I’m going to make a stop on my birthday and take a picture of something that I’ll tell you the story of tomorrow.

After fifty-three years I find myself living in days more fucked up than any I’ve ever witnessed. A country that used to be so respected in the world is now reviled and hated. A people that used to be so looked up to by everyone now considered nothing more than selfish self indulgent pigs. Why would anyone want our armies in their midst attempting to cookie stamp our corrupted brand of democracy upon their soil? Man have we fucked up big time...

I am embarrassed to be an American right now. Not because of stem cell research, not because of homosexuals or drug crazed criminals. I’m embarrassed because of the self indulgent, non-caring, self righteous bunch of arrogant assholes we’ve become. Thank god I am not a follower of the Republican principles of individual profit at the expense of everyone and anyone around me.

Thank God for my wonderful wife, Felicia and our amazing son Micah. Thank god for my blogger friends and those good souls who spend time with me each and every day trying to better the world in which we live. Thank god for these people who keep me believing in the greater good of humanity because it just gets harder to see it with every passing day.

Fifty-three years old and I just can’t believe what a shit-hole my country has become. And it’s because so many are so unconcerned with anything other than their immediate need for feeling happy at everyone else’s expense.


Thank you Republicans everywhere...



8 Comments:

Blogger Craig D said...

"Fifty-two years old and I just can’t believe what a shit-hole my country has become. And it’s because so many are so unconcerned with anything other than their immediate need for feeling happy at everyone else’s expense."

Um... Happy Birthday?

(I'm not attempting to "defend" the indefensible acts of the presidents you listed, but c'mon, why let LBJ off the hook?)

Hey - this'll be the first birthday where your get a card from your son! How cool is that?

September 25, 2007 8:07 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

P.S. HERE'S your gift!

September 25, 2007 9:20 AM  
Blogger Pepper said...

Dirk, I thought birthdays were happy times, filled with cake, ice cream, and red eye photographs. It is a time to moan about getting older, a time to reflect on where you have been and where you are going.

My family for years has been die-hard Republicans and not all Republicans are horrid people that need to be lined up and shot.

Let’s look at the Democratic Party..... Wasn't FDR the one that laid the ground work for the welfare system and created generations of folks that wait for a check that comes promptly on the first of the month? Now it is deposited in a bank.

You were born in the age of liberalism. I guess you know nothing else. I was born in a conservative republican family but branched out enough to know there can be a happy medium.

You are quick to jump on the Republican Bashing Band Wagon but fall short of examining the errors of the Democratic Party, from failing to stop the civil war to the Bay of Pigs. I won't go into my views on Clinton.

While I agree with you on President Bush, I disagree strongly with you on bashing the Republican Party. The US Constitution was written by men who took seriously the old Christian notion, that `Man is fallen'. They were afraid that if one person or one group held power, that person or group would learn tyranny. Consequently, the constitutional design depends on different groups, with different motivations. It creates balance. I guess you would be happy with an all Democratic government but I shudder to think of the consequences if that should come to be.

Oh Happy Birthday!

September 25, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger Kati said...

Like Craig D said: Um..... Happy Birthday?!

While I understand what you're saying about the republican party, I agree with pepper also in that dude.... I don't want the democrats ruling my life exclusively any more than I want the repubs. The democrats have been fighting to remove my freedom to bear arms & free speach (in exchange for speach that won't piss off any group of people at all) for an awful long time, and I'm personally not sure I want a majority of them in office any more than I want a majority of repubs any longer. Hell, I'm all for strengthening a few of our other political parties & "spreading the wealth" a bit more. Maybe when it's no longer a sure thing that some crooked-ass politician will get reelected after one crooked season, they'll all start behaving better. *shrug*

Anyway. Hope you & Felicia & Micah got to do something fun as a family.

September 25, 2007 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

History is like that eh. Shitty times abound, then somehow humans LEARN something (some of the time anyways) and things eventually change. Then we go back to being stupid and vacant and greedy. I believe one of these days we will get it right. Just not in our lifetime. Teaching your son that there IS goodness out there, is a great thing. Despite the current crap we have.

Happy Birthday (again) Dirk.

September 25, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger Glamourpuss said...

In my pre-birth imaginings, I was president of the United States and I made everyone ride bicycles and eat Richard Nixon. But it was crowded in there - we were a big litter.

Puss

September 25, 2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

And the "Head stuck up her ass" award goes to me! How could I forget your birthday!?! So sorry. Hope you had a great day and a really HOT night!

September 27, 2007 1:09 PM  
Blogger masgblog said...

Happy Belated Birthday. You're a month older than me, so I recall some of the events that you write about.
Hope it was a good one.

October 18, 2007 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger