<

July 17, 2008

I like to ride my bicycle...

Just shy of 400 miles now...


Just a little over nine weeks ago I posted a picture of myself on my new bicycle and proclaimed my refusal to pay four dollars a gallon for gasoline. Most everyone, including my neighbors, laughed at my silly looking bike and the fat guy sitting astride it. No one thought I'd last very long on the thing and most folks just couldn't wait until the day it appeared on the front lawn with a for sale sign hanging from the handlebars.

My P.T. Cruiser has now remained parked in the very same spot in front of our house for sixty-four consecutive days now. Rain or shine, nice or not so nice I've either walked to the grocery store for what I needed or to the Walgreens for my prescriptions. The bicycle takes me wherever else I want to go for fun and entertainment. No one in my neighborhood is laughing anymore let me tell you.

I'm now down under two-hundred pounds in weight for the first time in a very long time. I feel better physically than I have in several years. I was taking eighty units of Insulin a day and still couldn't keep my blood sugar levels under three and four hundred. I felt like death on a stick with a side order of crap every waking minute of each and every day. I was contemplating taking up the cigarette habit again because I know it to be a guaranteed form of suicide with the added benefit of being slow enough that should a cure for diabetes be found I could quit smoking and get myself cured.

I take maybe twenty-five units of Insulin now every other day or so. My blood sugar levels stay within a range of one-hundred and twenty to one-hundred and forty. (Yeah, I've changed my eating habits too.) I feel like a new person. I look like a new person too.

Now, a lot of people have started asking me a lot of questions about bicycling and I normally don't mind answering them. However, I recently noticed that the vast majority of questions people were asking tended towards the negative; "What do you do when it rains? "What if you get a flat tire?" "What if you get attacked?" What if you need to get to California?" "What if you need a week's worth of groceries?" . No one ever asks me; "How far can you go in a day?" "Did you lose all that weight biking?" "How much have you saved on gasoline?" "Has your sex life improved?" (The answer to that one would be yes! I now masturbate up to four or five times a day.)

You can ask all the questions you want to ask and easily convince yourself that you simply couldn't use a bike in any degree in your life. It's very easy to do and takes very little effort to accomplish. I'll just finish this post by saying that I am a fifty-four year old Diabetic with a wife and a son and yes, our lives are actually a bit better because of the benefits accrued from bicycling; we have extra money from what isn't being spent on gasoline for two automobiles, daddy is saving big money on Insulin and quite frankly a healthy daddy is a fun daddy.

There are ways to beat the system. Yes, they take a little bit of effort on our part, but in the long run the benefits are well worth it.





11 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Very cool. Congrats on the weight loss. I really must get me one of those things. Do you have a little trailer that you can hook up to the back of it to haul the kid around in? That would be pretty sweet. I bet he'd have a great time too. ;-)

July 17, 2008 9:50 PM  
Blogger Ripple said...

I'm with you, man. I can't wait to get to my new place and just stop driving for awhile. Glad to hear you are doing better now. Keep up the good work. I'm trying too, but I've been on a plateau since March. Even though I'm alone for awhile over here, I'm still eating healthy good food. I'll have my mom to cook for now, but she'll pretty much eat anything I put in front of her face.

July 17, 2008 11:18 PM  
Blogger feliciadel said...

Bravo! Kudos to fun daddy!

July 18, 2008 7:41 AM  
Blogger Aileen said...

Check out those sexy biker legs!!

July 19, 2008 2:34 PM  
Blogger Kati said...

Sweet bike, dude!!!! (*grin* How often does a guy hear that about a bike that doesn't have a harley motor built in?!?!)

I DO wonder how you haul groceries home, though. Have you built in a pannier carrier or have a little trailer you haul behind or something. THAT at least is an honest question. I know it can and has been done by others, I know it's possible for me. I'm just curious to know exactly what your system for carrying groceries home is.

I'm waiting and working on a job that allows me to bike (or walk) to and from. Wondering how to do grocery shopping on my bike, as I usually haul home at least 3 or 4 bags (home-made cotton shopping bags) full of groceries. Possible on a bike maybe, not possible by foot. Though.... come Nov. it's back to a car for grocery shopping on a weekly basis, as walking at -30 below (or colder) all the way to the grocery store, isn't possible.

But, you see..... Not all of us asking about the "grocery shopping by bicycle" are being snarky in asking. Truly curious.

Anyway. CONGRATS on the bike use and weight loss!!!! I hope you're able to continue to decrease the amount of insulin you need. And glad to hear that you're feeling healthier and can enjoy playing with your son as you gets old enough to do so.

July 19, 2008 6:52 PM  
Blogger Redroach said...

You are THE MAN.
I wish I could ride a bike to work, but 34 miles one way isn't even the hard part. It is the doofuses that would mow me under in their Hummers that scare the crap out of me

TV

July 19, 2008 9:01 PM  
Blogger noisysmile said...

This is really inspirational. I've noticed that bikers are usually happier people. As much as I hate my stupid bike (it makes my butt hurt), I wish I could ride it more. I wish I could use it for everything. Unfortunately one of my schools is a good 40 minute drive in my car. I usually have too many books for one backpack. To get to my other school I have to go through a few questionable areas that make me lock my doors in my car. I also am a nanny during the summers. The girls I babysit for don't live too far away, but they have activites to go to and they are much too young to be on a bike for more than an hour. I'm like a cab driver for tots. Excuses excuses. Perhaps I should quit school and my job and find a place of employment that is closer. Perhaps I should shell out money I don't have so I could move closer to one of my schools. Perhaps I should take karate and other self defense classes so I could ride my bike to the school that's in KC. None of these are going to work.

I am looking forward to getting out of the city after college, moving to a place where I can have the freedom of choosing how I spend the precious $4+ a gallon that goes towards gas. Even though I was allergic to Tucson (I broke out in hives/blisters whenever I stepped outside-anothter excuse) I have thought about moving there several times, because they were so incredibly bike friendly. It was expected out of you to ride a bike in Tucson. I swear the folks there weren't going to play tennis with me until I told them I was staying in a red zone (crime infested) and had no bike to begin with.

Wow this is getting long.

Here I am writing this long post to a person I thought I didn't like. Haha. I told my mom, you know her, that I thought that you were too arrogant. But you know what, so what if you are cocky and overly opinionated at times. At least you're DOING something that gives you bragging rights. As much as our opinions clash I applaud you and what you are doing, not only for yourself but for others. You make me want to duct tape a couple of car seats to my bike and attach a trailer for all the crap that comes along with taking care of kids. You make me question how dedicated I am to a dream.

Keep it up!

P.S. I still that that mccain is going to win. But we're in the same boat there, aren't we?

July 21, 2008 6:54 AM  
Blogger Zen Wizard said...

I can see the weight loss.

Shake off the hatahz and keep doin' yo' thang!!

July 21, 2008 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you!

And yes, nice legs Dirk lol.

July 22, 2008 1:39 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

hey that is so great! you look terrific i must say. i don't drive...but then again i never have. we only have one vehicle and biking is a big part of our lives. we even have a tandem bike. so kudos to you! nice seeing you...sorry i have been so neglectful lately.

July 22, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Pepper McKean said...

My son and my mother are driving me nuts because they read your blog and they asked me if I had read it. Which of course I tell them no because they had already read it to me. Not only that they discuss it - several times. Usually over beer and pizza. My son asked if he could skip a couple of camera payment in order to buy a bike. When he gets his own place to live he can save oodles of money biking to work and school. I agreed to this immediately because with all of the money he will be saving he can make bigger payments on the camera.

I think it is fantastic that you are doing this. Anyone that lives in the city needs to take up biking and walking. It is a great family activity as well. I have seen people that have little carts they pull with their bikes. Getting one of those would help you out with groceries. I have seen dogs, cats, small children in these carts as well but never together.

Keep up the good work!

Do not listen to the negative.

I will try to ride my bike more. I swear.

July 25, 2008 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View My Profile

* * * *
My personality type?
ENTJ






Friends and Neighbors.





Blog Directory & Search engine



C-List Blogger



Blogarama - The Blog Directory









Page by Pixie

Powered by Blogger